The $20 fill up that changes everything

How low will they go?

Something incredible is happening.

Not long ago, in this very space, I said: “Americans could very easily get used to 3 dollar gas.” Well. Silly me. I would have never guessed that within a month I’d see 2 dollar gas!

I live in a state with relatively high gas taxes, and my local station is selling regular unleaded for about $2.25. That’s incredible, considering last summer that same station was selling fuel for $4.25. I could very easily spend my time here delving into the reasons for such a dramatic drop, but that’s not nearly as exciting as thinking about the consequences of the price drop.

The little Suzuki I drive has an 11 gallon gas tank and was costing just over $40 to fill up, which for such a small car was quickly becoming infuriating. I was ready to trade it in for a Vespa and seriously adjust my driving habits even with that. I was prepared to do whatever I had to so America could cut it’s use of foreign oil and usher in the era of hydrogen to power the next generation of cars.

Then I watched prices on the digital sign at my local gas station plummet, and I filled up Friday night for just over $20. It’s the 20 dollar fill up that is changing my outlook on our country’s gas situation.

Now I’m considering trading in my Suzuki again… only this time a Tundra sounds kind of attractive. Or maybe the practicality of a Pilot. Heck, if I can fill one of those up for 40 or 50 bucks, I’ll be one happy consumer of oil; wherever in the world it comes from.    

How low will prices go before they are no longer an issue?

-tgriffith



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий